Wednesday, March 30, 2011

ALL THE SMALL THINGS. AND NO NOT BLINK 182.

I know it has been awhile since my last post but I do have a good reason.  In fact it will be the subject of this blog.  I just recently lost an Uncle.  And for some reason it has been pretty difficult for me to write about it.  I don't know if it's because it happened so sudden or because I couldn't make the service.  I just know I have been feeling pretty down lately.  Hopefully writing this will help not only me but also you 3 followers I have...haha.

My Uncle Gil was one of those guys that no matter how much fun you were having, when he showed up it was like the fun factor was kicked into overdrive.  And no mater who you were, if you were so and so's girl friend or just a friend of a cousin, he would make you feel like one of the family.  He would lure you in like a marlin with his sense of humor or his kick ass cooking.  And when I say kick ass cooking I do mean KICK ASS.  No...it wasn't anything fancy. It was just that he could take something as simple as a dinner role, in which I still till this day believe his are the best, and make into something that Bobby Flay would drool over.  He was that Uncle that would do stupid things with you so you wouldn't feel like such an ass when you failed.  An example of this is when we went skiing.  I saw a hill that I knew I shouldn't go down but because he went down, and crashed horribly, I went down and did the same. Although we were both laying on our backs in pain we just looked at each other and knew we were both idiots for doing it, but what the hell, it was fun.  Wow, the screen starts to blur up while my eyes start to water up while writing this.  I do miss him, along with the rest of my family.

If this has taught me anything it has shown me to just enjoy the small things.  I'm not saying you should go out and climb a huge mountain to enjoy the perfect sunset.  Im just saying that everyday just take a moment and look around you.  There are specials moments happening around you all the time and unless you stop you will never get a chance to enjoy them.  For me its just sitting with my wife in our lawn sipping wine and smoking a cigar as we just stare into the night sky.  Or playing golf with my father, mother, brother, wife, well hell just about anyone and enjoying the scenery around us. Shit, sometimes I just stand at my office window and watch the children run around and play without a care in the world.  How come we as adults can't do that?  They don't need the fancy phones, ipads, or gameboys to have fun.  And thats what Im saying, enjoy the simple things, the small things, things that you and I take for granted.

So come on people, don't wait for something bad to happen that makes you realize what I have been telling you.  I challenge you...Take 2 minutes a day and just look around you.  You may be surprised.

To my wife, mother, father, bother, my family in Cali. and close friends...I love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. Gil was a great guy. His funeral was "standing room only". I believe that's a good representation of all the people he touched and was respected by. I only have fond memories of Gil. He'll be missed, but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete